Monday, January 2, 2012

Around the world in 52 books -- Good Reads Challenge

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

            Emily Dickinson
 






I enjoy reading about other countries, and would even like to think that I learn something from foreign writers. It's so easy, however, to get caught up with the newest--and most hyped-up--offerings from my own native language. I've noticed that my own reading has created a worn grove between the United States, Canada, and the UK--with an occasional historical fiction foray into the rest of Western Europe. To break out of this comfortable habit, I've joined a group on Goodreads that has committed to reading 52 books from 52 countries in 2012.

2 comments: