Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why Cloudstreet?

I was so tempted to pick something wild and colorful for Australia. I really wanted to read something exciting like this:   Or like this:


(I've all ready read The True History of the Kelly Gang, but I was willing to cheat and read it again. It's a top-ten read for me, and I want to thank my Australian friend, Gay, for introducing my book group in Hawai'i to Peter Carey.)

But let's face it: life is more like this:

 
Even in Australia.



I picked Tim Winton because I had a vague idea that he was an "old" classic writer from the 50's or 60's. One look at his picture and I knew I was wrong. It turns out he hit the big time when I was living in Spain and didn't have a telephone, television, or computer. I'm still catching up.

 

Next stop: Perth.

No comments:

Post a Comment