Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Omeros--Review






I decided to challenge myself and include Derek Walcott's long epic poem, for which he won the Nobel Prize. I don't have that much to say except that  the poem, which is set on St Lucia in the Lesser Antilles, is naturally filled with beautiful language, and that the Helen figure, here a servant for some expat Brits is both hot and annoying, just as she was in ancient Greece. The poet hops in and out of his own poem, which was interesting, and there are excursions to both London and Ireland, which isn't so very. It also took me a few weeks to read it, as it was a very dense book. I'm glad I read it, just as I was glad I read "The Tale of Murasaki", and just as equally I find myself incapable of rating it.


                                                                   Unrated

No comments:

Post a Comment